Having braces doesn't necessarily require highly noticeable metal brackets and wires. In fact, many of the braces today are made from either clear or natural tooth colored materials to provide patients with an attractive, less noticeable alternative to traditional braces.
What is the difference between clear braces and clear aligners?
Clear braces are the same as traditional metal braces except that they are clear! Clear braces are a less noticeable alternative to traditional metal braces and provide patients with an equally effective treatment.
Clear aligners are different from clear braces. Clear aligners are series of hard plastic that are virtually invisible and removable. Clear aligners are made with 3D computer imaging technology.
What are the advantages and disadvantages to clear braces?
As with any orthodontic treatment, it is important to choose the right option for your needs and lifestyle. Clear braces are a great alternative to traditional metal braces and your orthodontist will help you determine whether they are the right treatment for you.
Advantages to clear braces:
- Appearance: Ceramic braces and clear braces are much less noticeable than traditional metal braces. Clear and ceramic braces offer an aesthetic alternative for patients seeking options other than traditional metal braces.
- Confidence: Many patients who choose ceramic or clear braces feel more confident about their orthodontic treatment, especially knowing that people are focusing on their smiles rather than their braces.
Disadvantages to clear braces:
- Cost: Ceramic and clear braces costs slightly more than traditional metal braces.
- Discoloration: The clear elastic ties used with clear and ceramic braces may become slightly discolored when you drink tea, coffee, or wine, and eat certain foods or smoke. Ask us about how you can keep your braces looking their best.
- Treatment Time: Orthodontic treatment with clear or ceramic braces may take longer than with traditional metal braces. If you don't mind investing a little more time in your smile, then talk to us to find out how long your treatment time will be with clear or ceramic braces.
Are clear or ceramic braces the right choice for my smile and me?
Please contact our office to schedule your complimentary consultation, today. We can provide answers to your questions and extra information explaining the benefits of each treatment and help you decide if clear or ceramic braces are the right treatment for you. .